Online Banking

About Us
Office and ATM
Locations
Personal Information
Security
TeleBranch™ &
WebBranch™
Employment
Corporation
Customer Service
customer service
Loading...
Got A Question? 
1-800-252-6246 
Live Help Available
7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-F
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Sat
Automated system is
available 24 hours
 
Locate an office or ATM 
More Customer Service Info
Close
Loading...

HISTORY

1918
An organizational meeting is held for Anchor Savings, Building and Loan Association on December 11.

1919
First Annual Meeting of the new Association is held. The first Anchor office is opened at 1 E. Main St. in Madison with one desk, one chair, and one part-time employee.

1923
Anchor assets reach $534,221.74.

1928
Anchor moves its office to the Joseph M. Boyd Building at South Carroll Street in Madison. Assets number $1,415,299.27.

1939
Anchor purchases the Joseph M. Boyd Building and begins planning a new facility.

1940
Corporate name is officially changed to Anchor Savings and Loan Association.

1941
Anchor takes possession of its new two-story building at the corner of West Washington and Carroll Street

1949
Anchor declares assets of $10,080,585.91.

1962
Anchor assets reach $104,158,288.91.

1964
Anchor Savings and Loan moves into its new 10-story office building at 25 West Main Street in Madison.

1967
Anchor opens a full-service branch at Hilldale, the first savings and loan branch in Dane County.

1971
New branches are opened in Platteville and Monroe.

1974
Anchor opens branches at Sherman Plaza and on Bridge Road in Monona.

1975
Anchor opens a new branch in Sun Prairie and breaks ground to expand the downtown facility.

1976
Offices are opened in Boscobel and in the C&P Shopping Center.

1978
Meadowood and Middleton (Century Avenue) branch offices are opened.

1979
The Hilldale branch office is expanded and new branches are opened in Lancaster and Darlington. Anchor assets surpass the $500,000,000 mark.

1980
Anchor opens a grocery store location in Dodgeville and in July acquires an office in Kimberly through a merger with Kimberly Savings and Loan.

1981
Anchor opens a new location near West Towne Mall and adds the Janesville Racine Street location through a merger with Janesville Savings and Loan.

1982
Anchor purchases the offices of National Savings at Nakoma Plaza and in Mount Horeb. Other new offices are established, through mergers, in Prairie du Chien, Lancaster, Kieler, Chippewa Falls and Menomonie.

1983
A merger with First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Walworth County adds offices in Delavan and Lake Geneva.

1984
Anchor creates a new subsidiary, Anchor Insurance Services, and adds offices in New Glarus, Verona, Middleton (University Avenue) and Monona via the merger of Provident Savings. With the completion of the Provident merger, Anchor's assets top the $1 billion mark. Anchor sells its deposit base in Kimberly to East Wisconsin Savings and Loan Association in December.

1985
A new branch office is built in Dick's Supermarket in Prairie du Chien, and Anchor purchases the savings base of Security Savings' Madison offices, thus adding the East Towne office location. Later in the year, the Atwood Avenue, Oregon and Sun Prairie offices of Evergreen Savings and Loan are merged with the Anchor family.

1987
Anchor opens a second branch in Janesville and adds offices in Columbus and DeForest with the merger of Columbus Federal Savings and Loan.

1988
A merger with Richland Center Federal Savings and Loan adds offices in the communities of Richland Center, Darlington, Cuba City, Hillsboro, and a larger office to serve the Dodgeville customers. Anchor also expands the service available in its East Towne office with the move to a new facility. A new office is also established in the community of Waunakee, and the first lending-only office is opened in Oshkosh.

1989
The Lake Geneva deposit base is sold to Kenosha Savings and Loan, making the Lake Geneva office one of two lending-only facilities among Anchor's 37 locations.

1990
A merger with Viroqua Federal Savings and Loan association of Vernon County adds an office in Viroqua. This consolidates Anchor's presence in Vernon County, with Viroqua on the western side of the county and Hillsboro on the eastern edge. The Oregon branch's assets reach the $10 million mark and a new, permanent facility is constructed, replacing the trailer that formerly housed the branch.

1992
Anchor Savings approves the conversion of Anchor Savings and Loan to a stock form of ownership on May 28. Along with that conversion, Anchor changes its name to AnchorBank, SSB. The conversion is completed July 15, 1992. Five million shares of common stock are issued at $10 per share to approximately 2,800 depositors. The Cuba City deposit base is sold to Mound City Bank on June 30.

1993
The Monona and South Towne offices are consolidated to form the new Monona office. It is the first to offer safety deposit boxes. The Hillsboro branch is sold to the Royal Bank of Elroy in February, and the Darlington branch is sold to First Citizen's National Bank. A lending-only office is opened in Appleton, creating the third lending-only office. The mortgage loan Refinance Express Center, at the Capitol Square office, becomes permanent. The Boscobel office is expanded in October.

1994
The Dodgeville offices move into a new facility with three drive-up lanes. Service is expanded in Verona and the number of drive-up lanes is increased from one to three.

1995
A new office in Stoughton is opened on June 5. AnchorBank purchases American Equity Bank, F.S.B. in Stevens Point, expanding AnchorBank's network of offices into 13 counties. The purchase closes June 30 and conversion takes place in mid-September. The Meadowood and Nakoma offices are combined and move to a new facility, which opens July 24. A new office is opened in the Econofoods grocery store in Plover on November 27. The DeForest office's lobby is remodeled, and three drive-up windows are added on December 14.

1996
AnchorBank opens two new "branches." TeleBranch, which opens August 1, offers 24-hour banking along and real bankers and loan officers who staff this telephone branch from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. AnchorBank also introduces its WebBranch at the same time. WebBranch lets customers ask questions or open accounts using the Internet. The Appleton lending-only office moves to a new location on November 13.

1997
The Monroe office is remodeled and a new drive-up lane and night deposit box are added in January. AnchorBank expands its services in Oshkosh by adding a full-service office on March 3 to complement the lending-only facility. On May 14, AnchorBank opens an office in the Kohl's Food Emporium on Madison's west side. In addition to being AnchorBank's first grocery store office in Madison, the Kohl's at Prairie Towne Center is also the first to be open seven days a week.

1998
The Capitol Square and Delavan branches undergo extensive remodeling to ensure customers have privacy as they make investments, take out loans and open accounts.

1999
FCB Financial Corp. merges into Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc. FCB Financial Corp. is the parent holding company for Fox Cities Bank. Fox Cities Bank's 13 branches become AnchorBank branches. In September, Anchor Insurance Services changes its name to Anchor Investment Services to reflect its repositioning as a provider of investment services like mutual funds and annuities. On October 4, 1999, AnchorBank opens its Fitchburg branch--the 49th full-service AnchorBank. Also on October 4, 1999, AnchorBank's Plover office moves to its new location at 2558 Post Road, which offers a larger office and drive-up capabilities. The Neenah Downtown office moves into its permanent location at 3 Neenah Center on October 11, 1999. The Ripon office also moves into a new facility.

2000
In June, two new lending-only offices open. The first opens in Green Bay. The second is in Hudson, which is located in Wisconsin on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border. In July, AnchorBank becomes a federal stock savings association. AnchorBank, S.S.B., becomes AnchorBank, fsb.

2001
On June 15th, Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc. and Ledger Capital Corp announced a definitive agreement to merge Ledger with and into AnchorBank Ledger has four full-service offices in three Wisconsin cities in the greater Milwaukee metropolitan area. They opened as AnchorBank offices on November 12, 2001. AnchorBank's Green Bay office was converted from a lending-only office to a full-service office when it moved to its new facility in Howard on December 17, 2001.

2003
AnchorBank's expansion efforts were concentrated in the greater Milwaukee area. A new bank in Menomonee Falls was opened on November 10, and a new bank in Franklin was opened on December 15. Two new banks were built and, after they moved, the old buildings were sold. The Viroqua bank moved to its new location on October 6, and the Berlin bank moved to its new location on November 4. In Columbus, the old building was donated to the city of Columbus and was moved. The new Columbus bank opened April 7. Extensive remodeling and/or additions of drive-up facilities, commercial night depositories and ATMs occurred at our Winneconne, Prairie du Chien and Lancaster banks.

2004
A new bank is built in Boscobel and opened Friday, July 30, 2004. AnchorBank opens its second bank in the Green Bay area on September 20, 2004. The new bank is located in Bellevue.

2005
Anchor BanCorp crosses the $4 billion mark in assets, finishing the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005, with $4.05 billion in assets. AnchorBank opens its 60th location on September 12, 2005, in the village of Sussex, some twenty miles west of Milwaukee. The Sussex bank is AnchorBank's 7th location in the Milwaukee area.

2006
AnchorBank opens its 61st location on February 6, 2006, in De Pere, just south of Green Bay. The De Pere location is AnchorBank's third location in the Green Bay area. Anchor Investment Services, Inc., formerly a wholly-owned subsidiary of AnchorBank, is integrated into the bank as a department continuing to operate as Anchor Investment Services, offering a full array of investment products and services. AnchorBank's West Towne, Hilldale and Cottage Grove offices are remodeled. AnchorBank's Mt. Horeb office moved into a new facility on September 5.

2007

In April, AnchorBank moved its branch located in Copp's (formerly Kohl's) grocery store on the far west side of Madison into a new stand-alone office on Junction Road, also on the far west side of Madison. In addition, Residential Lending Operations were centralized at this new location. On July 11, Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc. and S&C Banc, Inc., parent of S&C Bank, announced a definitive agreement to merge S&C Bank into AnchorBank. S&C is a $400 million community bank with 17 banking locations in northwestern Wisconsin and the greater Twin Cities area. On December 10, AnchorBank opened its doors to its 62nd location in Ashwaubenon. The new branch includes three drive-up lanes, a drive-up ATM and commercial night depository. The Ashwaubenon location is the 4th location in the Green Bay area.

2008

On January 2, Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc. formally acquired S&C Bank of New Richmond.

Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin also reached an agreement with Lake Area Bank, based in Lindstrom, Minnesota, to sell three S&C Bank branches that were located in Minnesota.

AnchorBank closed the S&C Hudson branch and combined resources at AnchorBank's lending-only office in Hudson. AnchorBank now has a total of 75 locations including the two lending-only offices in Wisconsin.

AnchorBank opens its 76th location in Brookfield, Wisconsin on January 14. The branch is approximately 9,000 square feet and occupies two floors. The second floor is home to a new centralized commercial and residential lending center for the Milwaukee area. The Brookfield branch is the 8th AnchorBank branch in the metro Milwaukee area.

On June 2, AnchorBank closed the Middleton branch and reopened a new office just a few feet away. The bank is located at 6240 Century Ave., Middleton. It's approximately 4,275 square feet and includes three full-service drive-up lanes, an ATM and a commercial night drop.

2009

On January 6, 2009, AnchorBank celebrated its 90th Anniversary. AnchorBank employees celebrated with an anniversary party at its corporate offices, an interactive website, a traveling history exhibit and anniversary themed open houses throughout the year.

The Board of Directors of Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc. (ABCW) announced it created the position of Lead Director and appointed David L. Omachinski, a member of the Board of Directors, to that position.

Chris Bauer joined the organization as President and CEO of Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc., as well as the position of CEO of the Bank. Mr. Bauer replaced Doug Timmerman, who retired from his role as President and CEO of Anchor BanCorp, and replaced Mark Timmerman in his role as CEO of AnchorBank, fsb. Mr. Bauer also joined both ABCW and the Bank as a member of each Board of Directors.

Mark Timmerman continues in the role of President of AnchorBank, fsb and adds the newly created position of Chief Operating Officer (COO) for the Bank. Mark Timmerman relinquishes his role on the ABCW Board of Directors while retaining his position as Executive Vice President of ABCW.

Dave Omachinski replaces Doug Timmerman as the Chairman for both Boards.

Martha Hayes joins AnchorBank as Chief Risk Officer in August.

In November, AnchorBank signed an agreement to sell 11 AnchorBank branches to Royal Credit Union (RCU) of Eau Claire. The branches being sold are Amery, Balsam Lake, Centuria, Menomonie, Milltown, New Richmond, Osceola, River Falls, St. Croix Falls, Somerset and Star Prairie. Closing of the transaction is anticipated to take place sometime before June 30, 2010.

2010

Anchor BanCorp and Badger Anchor Holdings, LLC mutually terminated agreements entered into December 2009 pursuant to which Badger Holdings would have made up to a $400 million investment in the Company, including a term loan in the aggregate principal amount of $110 million. The parties terminated the agreements because several conditions to closing had not been met.

In April, the Company announced it engaged Sandler O’Neill & Partners, L.P. as financial advisor to assist the Company in evaluating strategic alternatives.

On May 5, 2010, Douglas Timmerman announced his retirement from the Board of Directors of Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin Inc. effective May 5, 2010.

The Bank announced May 14, 2010, that it entered into a definitive agreement for the sale of four AnchorBank branches in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area to Nicolet National Bank (Nicolet) of Green Bay: Ashwaubenon, Howard, Bellevue and De Pere. Under the agreement, Nicolet will assume approximately $116 million in deposits along with loans, real estate and other assets.

Also in May, Dale Ringgenberg announced his retirement as Chief Financial Officer of Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc. effective August 31, 2010.

Martha Hayes was promoted to the position of Executive Vice President – Chief Risk Officer as part of an ongoing effort to drive operational excellence while ensuring the highest standard of credit quality in every loan AnchorBank makes.

In June, Dan Nichols, Executive Vice President – Commercial Lending announces he is leaving AnchorBank, effective August 31, 2010.

On June 14, the Bank announced that it received regulatory approval for the sale of 11 AnchorBank branches to Royal Credit Union under an agreement reached in November 2009. The sale was completed on June 25, 2010.

As part of an ongoing effort to drive operational excellence and strengthen the Bank’s management team, AnchorBank, fsb announced in July that its Board of Directors made several new promotions and appointments: Don Bertucci was promoted to Executive Vice President – Retail Lending, Lynette Passini was promoted to the position of Senior Vice President – Retail Lending Operations, Joseph Hauser was promoted to 1st Vice President – Internal Audit, Messrs. Kurt Reindl and Scott Ciano were named Senior Vice Presidents of the Credit Operations Group and Special Assets Group, respectively, and Ms. Patricia Carlin has been promoted by the Board to Senior Vice President – Banking Operations.

In addition to the above outlined promotions, the Board made several new appointments to the Bank’s leadership team. Tom Dolan was appointed Director of Finance and Ted Kopczynski as a Senior Risk Officer reporting to Martha Hayes, Executive Vice President – Chief Risk Officer.

On July 23, AnchorBank completed the sale of its four Green Bay area branches to Nicolet National Bank, including Ashwaubenon located at 2363 Holmgren Way, Howard at 2380 Dousman Street, DePere at 1610 Lawrence Drive and Bellevue at 2082 Monroe Road. Under the terms of the agreement, Nicolet assumed approximately $105.1 million in deposits.  

2011

Scott McBrair joins AnchorBank as Executive Vice President of Retail Banking.

Tom Dolan is appointed to the role of Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer.

Mark Timmerman accepts the title of Executive Vice President, General Counsel/Corporate Security, mirroring his role in the holding company, Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc.

Chris Bauer adds the role of President of the Bank to his existing titles of Chief Executive Officer of the Bank and President and Chief Executive Officer of Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc.

Anchor BanCorp Wisconsin, Inc. announces the addition of two new Directors to its Board of Directors, Messrs. Duane Morse and Leonard Rush.

2012

Closed two branch locatinos (Sussex and Appleton Memorial) to improve efficiency of network with minimal impact to customer service.

2013

In August, Anchor BanCorp announces and confirms a "pre-packaged" plan of reorganization to restructure Anchor BanCorp and recapitalize its wholly-owned subsidiary, AnchorBank, fsb with $175 million in new capital. By the end of September, with the recapitalization complete, AnchorBank's capital levels exceed the thresholds for a "well-capitalized" bank under applicable traditional regulatory guidelines, and becomes one of the highest capital ratio banks in Wisconsin.